Senna Tea and Its Shocking Benefits
What is Senna Tea?
As we mentioned before, it is nothing but an herb and made from the leaves of the Cassia Senna Plant. These plants are found in the tropical area and they grow more in warm temperature climates.
Characteristics of Senna Tea
It is slightly sweet with a bitter undertone. Because of the bitterness, it can be taken with a honey or green tea. Aroma of Senna tea is not that impressive. It is popular as the laxative due to the presence of one active compound called anthraquinones. It is found either as the tea or as the herbal supplement.
Health Benefits of Senna Tea
Senna tea has gained its popularity in the form of laxative. It works for constipation on a short-term basis. Excess use of this product might cause difficulty. Glycosides found in the plant are responsible for the laxative property of this tea. They are nothing but the organic anthraquinone compounds stimulating the muscles while digested foods go through the intestine. That’s how the volume of the stool is enhanced and moved out of the colon. It is used with the fennel and ginger which works to heal the flatulence.
Due to the laxative effect of the tea, it is also famous as the ‘dieter’s tea’ because it is found to aid in the weight loss.
It starts working 6 to 12 hours after the consumption. It is usually taken before bedtime so that it can work in the consecutive morning.
Challenge of Taking Senna Tea
The main problem of taking this tea is that you cannot control the dosage like the way we can do it for the capsule. Even if we dip the teabag, the dosage varies every time.
Side Effects of Senna Tea
Despite its different benefits, we should not ignore several side effects of this tea:
- Risk factors or side effects related to it are limited. It is not recommended for a longer period to treat constipation. If taken in excess amount then one might face problems such as diarrhea, stomach discomfort, cramp, nausea and vomiting.
- This tea might not go well with certain drugs such as diuretics because it might increase the potassium level of the body.
- People suffering from certain medical conditions such as ulcerative colitis, dehydration, appendicitis, Crohn’s disease, diarrhea, abdominal pain etc. should avoid this tea.
- Avoid taking this tea, if you are allergic to it.
- People suffering from certain diseases such as liver, heart, or kidney problem might face certain health issues if they take this tea.
- Pregnant women and breastfeeding mothers should consult the doctor before taking this tea.
A Piece of Advice
If you’re planning to take this tea, always remember that the effect on your health will vary depending on the steeping time and the quality of the product. Plus, you should remember that not every person is responsive to this tea. If you notice no difference in stool after taking this tea; do not increase the dose without consulting your doctor as it might affect you in a bad way.
You can also read: DON’T GET EMBARRASSED WHEN YOU OPEN YOUR SHOES